- sybsetup - used to install sybase
- sybinit - used to configure sybase
Used to backup/restore databases using dump & load commands. e.g.
- dump database database_name to dumpfile
A list of all known servers (including backup server). When a client program needs to connect to a particular file, it looks here. Can be supplied by setting DSQUERY environmental variable. Port number is used to identify SQL server. i.e.
Entries can be created in the interface file using sybinit.
Sybase Device Files
These are portions of disk or files used to store databases and database objects. Following are required:
- master device - to store system databases
- sybsystem procs device - store system procedures database
- sybsecurity device - store auditing database
sybinit initialises these or disk init post installation. Logical volumes or raw partitions can be used.
The backup server is configured using sybinit.
Can use system administrator ID, sa . To set SQL server password for sa:
- isql -Usa -P -Sserver_name
- sp_password null, new_password
When a new SQL server or backup server is installed, sybinit creates a runserver file called RUN_servername
To start a server enter: startserver -f runserverfile
To see if a server is running, try to logon to it using isql or use showserver command. Can also issue ps -u sybase .
Use the shudown command:
- isql -Usa -Ppassword -Ssever_name
- shutdown servername
If database has to be shutdown immediately, use shutdown with nowait flag.
Use kill -9 only as a last resort. If you do this, may need to delete the shared memory files ($SYBASE/SERVER_NAME.krg and SERVER_NAME.srg0) . May also need to flush shared memory, e.g. for HP-UX, ipcs -mp | grep sybase , then use ipcrm to remove.
- Use cron to run >dbcc checkdb and dbcc checkalloc. dbcc is the database consistency checker.
- backup database and transaction log
- obtain raw counts on larger tables for capacity planning
- run update statistics on heavily used tables
Log files are $SYBASE/install/errorlog & $SYBASE/install/backup.log Kernel Parameters
- SHMMAX - normally a very high value
- SHMSEG - may need changing, normally 12 required
- sar - relative and absolute I/O throughputs
- vmstat - virtual memory usage
- netstat - network status
- ps - accumulated CPU time and usage
- time - user, system and real time resources
async i/o should be enabled, i.e. For HP, driver in he kernel and /dev/async created as 101 0x000004, perms 660 , sybase,sybase . Raw partitions must be owned by sybase. For Solaris, don’t start raw partitions at cylinder 0 .